Monday, May 4, 2009

Weekend of Locavore Mania

Ye gods, I don't even know where to start. This weekend, I packed entirely too much locavore activity into three days (I don't work on Mondays). Rather than sock you with a ridiculously long posting, I'll give you the highlights and flesh them out over the next few days.

Saturday
  • Noon: Toured the Taza Chocolate Factory. Cool new thing I learned: locally available, sustainable cacao mulch can be bought there.
  • 3pm: Visited Pete & Jen's Backyard Birds. Bought soap made with "saponified local pork tallow."
  • 4pm: Verrill Farm's temporary farmstand. Mmm... their own hothouse greens and spinach, plus locally raised and highly seasonal fiddlehead ferns and ramps.

Sunday
Collapsed. Well, cooked fiddleheads and ramps, along with delicious london broil from last month's meatshare.

Monday
Got two great things I heard about in email:
  1. http://tinyfarmblog.com/ - Organic micro-farming. What a great concept.
  2. http://www.namanet.org/csf/cape-ann-fresh-catch - A fishshare! I just told my husband last week I wanted one, and lo! one appears. Amazing. Hope they have herring.

No comments:

Post a Comment