Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Resource: Green City Growers

I spotted a flyer in a cafe across from my daughter's elementary school for Green City Growers.These folks will come to your house, build raised beds, and plant organic vegetables for you. They also make rooftop beds and work with schools, hospitals, and nursing homes. There was no word on their web site on whether they offer a maintenance plan (i.e., someone comes and weeds the bed for you), so I'll send them email for clarification.

This comes as a great relief to me. I was starting to think I would have to start up this business myself. Nothing is more local and sustainable than growing food in your own backyard, and nothing's as nutritious and tasty as food picked and eaten immediately. If you have any interest at all in growing your own vegetables, but you have no idea how, I encourage you to contact these folks.

If there's enough interest from do-it-yourselfers, I can also write up a series of posts on how to create your own backyard garden with a minimum of work and fuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment